A subsidiary of Toyota’s produced 2JZ engine for sixteen years ( 1991 – 2007 g). This three-liter, six-cylinder inline was designed for rear-wheel drive models such as the Mark 2, Crown, Supra, Lexus IS and Lexus GS, the internal combustion engine was modernized, equipped with variable phases VVT-i and ignition DIS-3.
2JZ Engine Modifications
Toyota 2JZ Engine was produced in three variations.
- 2JZ-GE the first base engine ( 1991 – 1997 ). The atmospheric engine has a power of 220 – 230 hp. (depending on settings) with a compression ratio of 10.5. The upgraded version, which appeared at the end of the decade, was equipped with VVT-i, three ignition coils, firmware and other little things. At the same time, the capacity did not change after the update.
- 2JZ-GTE is a turbocharged modification sharpened for a sporty driving style. This engine differed greatly from the base 2JZ: pistons designed for a low compression ratio, camshafts with a lift of 7.8 and 8.4 mm, another phase, and of course CT20 superchargers and an intercooler. Thanks to the changes, the power increased to 280 hp, and the moment to 432 Nm. Export engines were even more powerful, differed from domestic ones in other turbines, a large lift of camshafts, nozzles and phase. They produced 321 hp. and 441 Nm. Later in 1997, this ICE was also equipped with VVTi. The torque has risen to 451 Nm, while the power remains the same.
- The 2JZ-FSE D4 engine was released in 2000. It had direct injection. The compression ratio is 11.3 with a power of 217 hp.
The three liter JZ engine differs from the previously appeared 2.5-liter with an increased piston stroke, in addition, the cylinder block has grown by 14 mm. There were no more obvious differences.
Above the six-cylinder block is the cylinder head and 24 valves. There are no hydraulic compensators, the timing drive is belt-driven. Variable geometry intake manifold 2JZ.
Modernized in 1997. VVTi was installed at the inlet, and the old distributor ignition was replaced by DIS-3.
2JZ Engine Specs
|Years of production||1991 - 2007|
|Power Hp||220 hp - 325 hp|
|Torque (N / m)||294 Nm - 440 Nm|
|Compression ratio||8.5 / 10.5 / 11.3|
|Oil change frequency||Every 10,000 km|
|Lubricant||Up to 1 liter per 100 km|
|Oil volume||3.9L - 5.4L (depending on modification)|
|Ecological class||Euro 2/3|
|Fuel type||AI 95|
|Cylinder block||Cast iron|
|Number of cylinders||6|
|Valves per cylinder||4|
|Piston stroke||86 mm|
|Cylinder diameter||86 mm|
|Working temperature||90 degrees|
|Resource||More than 400,000 km|
2JZ Engine Installed on:
The list of cars with a 2JZ engine under the hood can be stretched over several pages. Here is a partial list of Toyota models with this engine:
- Toyota Crown Majesta S140
- Toyota Crown Majesta S150
- Toyota Crown Majesta S170
- Toyota Aristo S140
- Toyota Aristo S160
- Toyota Chaser X90
- Toyota Chaser X100
- Toyota Crown S130
- Toyota Crown S170
- Toyota Mark II X90
- Toyota Mark X100
- Toyota Origin G17
- Toyota Supra A80
- Toyota Progres G10
- Lexus GS S140
- Lexus IS XE10
In addition, some craftsmen push it into cars of other brands, for example, a Mercedes and even a GAZ 24.
2JZ Engine Problems & Reliability
- The 2JZ engine does not cause global problems. In older ICEs, excessive lubricant consumption is encountered. Maslozhora reason is simple – worn STEM SEAL or rings.
- The VVTi phase regulator is a weak point of the design. Therefore, when buying a car with an engine release after 1997, you should carefully check the performance of this system. Its service life is just over a 100,000 kilometers.
- The electronic filling of the engine contains a bunch of sensors that from time to time refuse to work and need to be replaced.
- Another of the problems of 2JZ is the short service life of the pump and the timing belt tensioner roller. The internal combustion engine is prone to filling plugs. It is necessary to remember about the adjustment of the valves and make sure that no water gets into the ignition system.
2JZ Maintentance Service
The 2JZ engine is enviably reliable. The manufacturer claims a resource of 300,000 mileage. Often, with proper care, careful operation, the engine takes care of 500,000 kilometers before overhaul.
Competent maintenance and adherence to the 2JZ maintenance schedule are important for any engine. In this case, the list of routine maintenance:
- The engine oil is changed every 10,000 km. When operating at high modes or if the car spends most of the time in city traffic jams, you should not pull with the replacement, and it is even better to carry it out earlier. The manufacturer recommends using only original Toyota oil with a viscosity of 5w-30 or 5w-40. Replacement will require four to five liters of grease.
- Due to a broken belt, the valves do not suffer, but nevertheless, the 2JZ timing drive must be monitored. Once in 15,000-20,000 km inspected visually for damage, change every 100,000 km.
- Simultaneously with the belt replacement, the 2JZ valves are adjusted. The gap is set using shims.
- New antifreeze is poured at intervals of 60,000 km or in three years, whichever comes first. In this case, it is necessary to check the pipes, seals and the pump for leaks.
- Although the factory is credited with changing the spark plugs every 100,000 km, in practice this interval is best reduced to 20,000 km.
- The fuel and air filters have the same replacement period of 40,000 km.
2JZ Fuel consumption
Let’s consider how much gasoline the 2JZ engine consumes using the example of two cars of the same model, but of different generations.
Rear-wheel drive Lexus GS300 of the second generation with 2JZ has fuel consumption:
- Urban cycle: 16.4 liters.
- Extra-urban cycle: 8.8 liters.
- Mixed: 11.6 liters.
The first generation Lexus GS300 with a 4-speed automatic and rear-wheel drive consumes 100 km of track:
- City: 13.1 liters.
- Track: 10.2 liters.
- Medium: 11.8 liters.
The 2JZ engine has a large margin of safety. With a competent upgrade, more than 1000 hp are removed from it. While there is no point in tuning the base 2JZ-GE, it’s easier to buy a car with a sporty GTE. But nothing prevents you from removing 450 forces from him. You can do it like this :
- Buy and install a turbo kit based on the thirtieth Garrett. The kit includes all the additional elements, but you will have to tinker with their installation.
- Install the piston group from the GTE engine. If it is absent or if you want to save money, you can increase the volume of the combustion chamber by installing a thick 3 mm gasket under the block head.
- Add the 80mm throttle plate to this.
- Injectors from 550 to 630 cc.
- A powerful fuel pump such as the Valbro 255.
- Customize your brains. There is a Greddy E-Manage firmware for this purpose.
Of course, this tuning is not for thrifty people. The kit will not be cheap, and after alterations, fuel consumption will increase greatly.
But the twin-turbo 2JZ-GTE is a favorite of tuners. There are several options for increasing power. The easiest is to increase the boost pressure. Without changing the turbine, 1.2-1.3 bar can be achieved. In this case, the attachments are subject to modernization. Do this:
- They put injectors giving out about 550 cc capacity.
- Fuel pump capable of pumping from 250 liters of fuel per hour.
- The control unit is being stitched.
In this way, you can raise the power indicator to 400 hp.
2JZ Turbo Kit Installed
To achieve the same power of 400 hp, but at the same time get a smoother torque, a turbo kit is installed :
- Two small turbines are replaced by one large one from Garrett.
- In addition, injectors with a capacity of 1000 cc, another intercooler, two Walbro fuel pumps and a throttle with a diameter of 80 mm or more are installed.
- In addition to this, camshafts can be supplied with more valve lift, wide phase, reinforced valve springs, an equal length exhaust manifold, a 3-inch tailpipe and a tuned intake manifold. And also change the control unit, configure it.
- When setting up, pay attention to the ignition. It will blow off the spark later, and it will detonate early.
- The radiator of the cooling system must be changed to a three-row one.
With such changes, up to 800 hp are removed from the engine. Not enough for you? Then change the pistons to forged, connecting rods to reinforced and modify the cylinder head.
Again, not enough and you want to squeeze more than 1000 forces out of the engine? In this case, change the compression ratio, put on a lightweight flywheel and switch the unit to gasoline with a higher octane rating.
The 2JZ engine has a huge margin of safety, so it is often tuned. But it should be remembered that the increase in power directly affects the resource and reliability. To minimize negative effects, carefully consider the choice of engine oil. Use only high quality synthetic grease.