The 1NZ-FE engine is a transverse powertrain designed for front-wheel drive passenger cars. It is an in-line, 4-cylinder, sequential fuel injection engine equipped with a twin-shaft overhead gas distribution (DOHC).
The mechanism is driven by a narrow single-row roller chain with an 8 mm pitch between the links. The “proprietary” variable valve timing system of the second generation VVT-i (Variable Valve Timing), developed by Toyota engineers, is installed on the intake shaft.
|Cylinder volume (working)||1497 cm3
|Maximum power, hp from. (at 6000 rpm.)||109|
|Maximum torque, N.m (at 4200 rpm)||141|
|Number of valves per cylinder||4|
|Number of cylinders||4|
|Total number of valves||16|
|Cylinder diameter||75 mm|
|Piston stroke||84.6 mm|
|Fuel supply system||Sequential injection (SFI system)
|Compression ratio||10.5 - 13.4
|Variable valve timing system||VVT-i
|Fuel consumption, l / 100 km (city / highway / mixed mode)||13/6 / 9.5
|Type of fuel||Unleaded gasoline
AI-92 or AI-95
|Lubrication system||Full-flow cleaning of engine oil with its supply to moving parts using a trochoid pump.
|Engine oil type||5W-30, 10w-30
|The volume of oil for the engine crankcase||3.7 L|
|Coolant||Based on ethylene glycol, density 1.07-1.08 g / cm3
|Cooling system||Liquid, closed type, with forced circulation through the U-shaped channel.
|Motor resource, (factory / practice)||200,000 km|
- The cylinder block is made of an aluminum alloy with an open cooling jacket and molded thin-walled cast iron liners. This design does not imply overhaul of the power unit.
- In order to reduce wear on the cylinders, the forged crankshaft is installed with an offset of its axis relative to the line of the cylinder axes. Light-alloy engine pistons with a lightweight skirt coated with LFA (Low Friction Resin With Aluminum).
- There are no hydraulic compensators in the valve drive of the gas distribution mechanism, and therefore the engine requires periodic (every 20,000 km) adjustment of the valve clearances. It is carried out using a set of pushers.
- Distributed fuel injection is sequential, in which each injector is controlled by a special signal from the electronic engine control unit. The supply of the control signal depends on the operating conditions of the engine.
Installed on Toyota cars:
- Geely MK
- Geely CK
Engine maintenance is reduced to regular procedures:
- Change the engine oil every 10,000 km.
- Adjustment of the valve clearances of the gas distribution mechanism every 20,000 km of the distance traveled.
- Replacing the timing chain drive every 150,000-200,000 km.
1NZ-FE Problems & Reliability
Malfunctions characteristic of the 1NZ FE engine begin to appear after a significant mileage. Moreover, they are all caused by the fact that the developers of this power unit used almost all known methods to reduce its durability. This was caused by the need to solve a more complex problems – to create the shortest possible (along the length of the crankshaft) motor.
More 1NZ-FE common problems than others:
|Noise and knocking in the engine.||Extension of the timing chain.||- Replace chain.
- Check the tensioner and chain damper at the same time and replace if necessary.
|High consumption of engine oil.||Worn oil scraper rings or seals.||- De-carbonize the oil scraper rings.
- Replace the valve stem seals and / or rings.
|Strong vibration of the engine.||Clogged fuel filter and / or fuel injection nozzles.||- Clean the nozzles.
- Replace the fuel filter.
|Whistling in the engine.||The alternator belt has become unusable.||Replace alternator belt.
|The oil pressure indicator light on the instrument panel is on.||The engine oil pressure sensor is clogged or out of order.||Replace the engine oil pressure sensor.
|The engine speed is floating in idle mode.||Clogged:|
- idle sensor
- throttle body
|The malfunction is eliminated by cleaning the clogged units.
The 1NZ engine is generally tuned using readymade kits available commercially to improve performance without any problems.
Among them are:
- Standard turbo kit (a set of accessories for tuning 1NZ engines) from TRD, which includes: IHI RHF4 turbine; 2ZZ-GE injectors; fuel pump 1JZ-GTE, etc. Ensure the compliance of the engine with the specified technical characteristics by setting the electronic control unit 1NZ-FET / GReddy e-Manage Ultimate
- Supercharger kit Blitz, when using which you need to additionally purchase: 2ZZ-GE injectors; thick cylinder head gasket; fuel pump 1JZ-GTE.
- By installing the necessary components and correctly tuning the engine characteristics with the GReddy e-Manage Ultimate, you can get a good high-torque engine for a city car with a capacity of 145-160 hp.
The NZ series powertrains, designed for Toyota small cars, first appeared in the automotive market in 1997. The base engine of the family is the 109 hp 1NZ FE engine. from. (cylinder volume 1.5 l).
Among automotive power units, 1NZ are rightfully considered to be long-livers, since until now they are serially manufactured and installed on modern models of cars from various manufacturers.