The PE-VPS engine is an in-line 4-cylinder engine that has been produced by a Japanese company since 2012. The volume of the engine is 2 liters, its maximum power is 150-165 horsepower.
The internal combustion engine is part of the Skyactiv-G line, installed on most of the most popular Mazda models.
PE-VPS Engine Specifications
|Environmental class||Euro 4/5|
|Fuel type||Gasoline AI-95|
|Supply system||Direct injection|
|Cylinder block||Aluminum R4|
|Cylinder head||Aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder diameter||83.5 mm|
|Piston stroke||91.2 mm|
|Phase regulator||Dual S-VT|
|Engine oil||4.2 l 0W-20|
|Average resource||300 000 km|
Advantages And Reliability of The PE-VPS Engine
Motorists highlight many advantages of the PE-VPS engine. We list the most significant of them:
- Good indicators of reliability and power.
- The cylinder block and cylinder head are made of aluminum, which made it possible to achieve a relatively small mass without loss of quality.
- Low fuel consumption: 8.3 liters in the city and 4.9 liters on the highway.
- The presence of hydraulic compensators, so there is no need for periodic adjustment of the valves.
- Compliance with Euro-4.5 environmental standards.
- Direct fuel injection system.
- A good engine resource – with timely maintenance of consumables, as well as using high-quality fuel and oil, the engine is able to travel at least 300,000 km without major repairs.
Disadvantages and problems of the PE-VPS engine
Despite the large list of advantages, drivers also note some disadvantages of the PE-VPS engine:
- High oil consumption, and from the very first kilometers of run.
- The Engine is picky about the quality of fuel – it is recommended to use gasoline of a brand not lower than AI-95.
- Otherwise, the fuel system will quickly become clogged and the ignition coils will fail.
- Working out on a plastic tension roller leads to breakage of the ribbed belt.
In addition, in the early years of the engine’s release, there was a problem with a cold start, but later it was solved with a new firmware.
Applicability of The PE-VPS Engine
- Mazda: 3 (2013-), 6 (2012-), CX-3 (2016-), CX-5 (2012-), CX-30 (2019-)
PE-VPS Engine Tuning Perspectives
To increase engine power, tuners usually install a turbocharger and perform competent tuning of the “brains”. Also, flashing will help add power.