The LF-DE engine is an in-line 4-cylinder engine with a volume of 2 liters, a maximum power of 139-160 hp and a torque of 175-183 Nm.
ICE was produced from 2002 to 2015, it was installed mainly on Asian models 3, 5, 6 and MX-5, as well as on some Ford cars.
LF-DE Engine Specifications
|Environmental class||Euro 4|
|Fuel type||Gasoline AI-92|
|Supply system||Distribution injection|
|Cylinder block||Aluminum R4|
|Cylinder head||Aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder diameter||87.5 mm|
|Piston stroke||83.1 mm|
|Engine oil||4.3L 5W-30|
|Average resource||300,000 km|
Advantages And Reliability of The LF-DE Engine
Among the main advantages of the LF-DE engine, drivers distinguish the following characteristics:
- Aluminum cylinder block and cylinder head – the material is not only reliable, but also very light;
- Good power indicators;
- A small amount of emissions of harmful substances into the atmosphere – the engine meets environmental standards according to the Euro-4 class;
- Low fuel consumption: from 6.9 to 9.4 liters per 100 km, which is very good with such a volume and power;
- A good engine resource – with timely maintenance of consumables, the engine travels at least 300,000 km without major repairs.
Disadvantages and problems of the LF-DE engine
Among the most significant disadvantages of the LF-DE engine, the following should be noted:
- Quite often it is necessary to change the pump, thermostat and the right engine mount.
- Malfunctions in the operation of the throttle assembly, as a result of which the revolutions float.
- The absence of hydraulic lifters, so there is a need for manual adjustment of the valves.
- With a run of more than 200,000 km, an oil burn and stretching of the timing chain is noted.
- Also, the disadvantages include jamming or falling out of the intake flaps. But such a problem often occurred in the early years of engine production. Then the engineers managed to eliminate it.
Also, motorists note that the engine is not particularly whimsical to fuel – it perceives AI-92 gasoline well.
Applicability of LF-DE engine
- Mazda : 3 (2003-2013), 5 (2005-2007), 6 (2002-2012), MX-5 (2005-2015)
LF-DE engine Tuning prospects
There are not many options that can significantly increase the power of this engine. The most effective will be the installation of a turbocharger, flashing and competent professional tuning.