The RB26DETT engine was installed mainly on the Nissan Skyline GT-R in the body of the R32, R33 and R34, Nissan Stagea 260RS. This engine was developed by Nismo to drive Skyline R32 GT-R in car racing. The engine has high potential to increase its power, so the RB26DETT has gained worldwide fame.
The timing is driven by the timing belt. The RB26DETT intake system, unlike other engines in the RB series, has 6 throttle assemblies, not one (one throttle for each cylinder). This engine is equipped with two turbochargers (T28 ceramic turbines). Such a system is called – parallel turbocharging or Twin Turbo.
The engine turned out to be quite reliable and easy to maintain 150 thousand km or more with proper maintenance. For engines up to 1992, there might be problems with oil starvation at high speeds. Over the years of production and modification, machines on the mechanical side have practically not changed. The change concerns machine control units – different generations set themselves.
RB26DETT Engine Designs
Inline six-cylinder petrol with an electronic fuel injection control system, with cylinders and pistons in alignment rotating one ordinary crankshaft, with an array of two camshafts, with two turbochargers (the first turbine of cylinders 1, 2 and 3; the second of 4, 5 and 6). The machine has a closed circuit liquid cooling system with forced circulation. Combination lubrication system: under pressure and spray.
What Car is Installed RB26 Engine?
If you don’t consider the popularity of RB26DETT as a donor for swaps and sports projects, then their factory is equipped with a small number of Nissan models.
- Skyline GT-R R32 (1989-1994)
- Skyline GT-R R33 (1993-1998)
- Skyline GT-R R34 (1999-2002)
- Stagea 260RS WC34 (1996-2001)
RB26DETT Engine Features
The famous Nissan RB26DETT engine, an old rival of the Toyota 2JZ-GTE, came out in 1989 to match the sophistication of time – a 32 inch Skyline – and won in the Japan Touring Car Championship.
The RB26DETT motor is similar to the smaller RB25DET. It is equipped with a cast-iron cylinder block without oil lines, a high-strength crankshaft with a new 73.7 mm short piston stroke, a rod that holds 500 or more horses in stock, and a compression ratio of 8.5 in the cylinder.
The aluminum head block contains 24 valves: 4 per cylinder, inlet diameter 34.5 mm, exhaust 30 mm. Camshafts with phase lifts 240/236 8.58 / 8.28 mm. The VVTi mechanism is not used, nor is there a hydraulic lift, on the contrary, a rigid push rod works. When the timing belt is broken, RB26DETT bend the valve.
The 444 cc nozzle, Garrett dual compressor with ceramic impeller makes it possible to send 280 hp to the first sample of this engine. at 6,800 rpm and 353 Nm of torque at 4,400 rpm. With this RB26DETT Black Tops, the GT-R models on the 32nd and 33rd bodies are complete. At the skyline on the 34th body mounted turbocharger bearings M24 Garrett, Red Top head with cam with phase 248/240 and a rise of 7.8 / 7.8.
RB26DETT Engine Specs
|Manufacturer||Nissan - Yokohama Plant|
|Years of Production||1989-2002|
|Cylinder head (cylinder head)||Aluminum|
|Cylinder block||Cast iron|
|Number of cylinders (valves per cylinder)||6 (4)|
|Piston stroke mm||73.7|
|Cylinder diameter mm||86|
|Engine displacement, cube cm||2568|
|Compression ratio, bar||8-8.5|
|Environmental standards||EURO 4|
|Fuel Consumption per 100 Km|
|- town||14 Liters|
|- track||9 Liters|
|- mixed mode||12.3 Liters|
|Oil consumption, grams per 1000 km||500|
|The Volume Oil||4.6 Liters|
|The Amount of Grease When Replacing||4.2 Liters|
|Type of Oil Used||7.5W-30, 10W-50, 15W-50 or 15W-55|
|Oil Change Frequency||10,000-15,000 KM|
|Upgrade options||There are potential up to 800-1000 hp|
|Equipped Models||Nissan Skyline GT-R|
RB26DETT N1 Engine Reviews
First of all, these changes affect the performance and volume of water pumps, oil pumps, oil line improvements for adequate lubrication and cooling at maximum speed.
Increased strength, balanced corrected crankshaft connecting rod, piston is now in the upper compression ring with a thickness of 1.2 mm, and the camshaft phase changes to increase torque.
The non-ceramic steel turbine wheels are now installed in the RB26DETT N1 turbine: they are stronger, resistant to submaximum rotation speeds. The standard 86 mm cylinder remains the same diameter on the N1, but is easily upgraded to 88 mm. As a result of modernization, the power indicator has increased to 510 hp, and hypothetically 1900 and more horses can be drawn.
RB26DETT Engine Problems And Reliability
Nissan designers awarded the RB26DETT engine with exceptional reliability, but it cannot be without problems.
- The weakness of the oil pump turned out to be the first negative which then increased to overcome this problems.
- A relatively weak point is the timing belt RB26DETT, where the valve is broken, and a replacement is required every 80-100 thousand km.
- Short-lived ignition coils are another problems.
- The famous minus is the claim to the quality of gasoline: if this factor is not observed, the filter and nozzles quickly become contaminated.
- If we compare RB26DETT with 2JZ-GTE from Toyota or other analogs, then the undoubted advantage of motorcycles from Nissan is its quality.
- Along with excellent technical characteristics, the engine has the highest reliability and has a positive feedback base from the rider.
- In other aspects, RB26DETT is more than reliable and durable. With systematic maintenance at the service station (not necessarily the Nissan station), the engine shows a significant amount of resources for the sport engine.
- Removing 500-600 from 300 horsepower is relatively easy, but if you approach global modernization, then up to 1000 “horses” are not far away.
RB26DETT Engine Tuning
- For adjustments without replacing factory turbines, Tomei oil pumps with oil coolers and three-layer radiators are installed on the RB26DETT engine.
- The fuel system was then modified by replacing the 550 cc injector, fuel rail, pressure regulator and Bosch-044 pump.
- Next, replace the pump from N1, wax to NGK 9. Installed instead of the original Apexi inlet with 76 mm pipe. Keep placing the booster controller, set everything to get 330 horses from 1 stick and meet 12 seconds at a distance of 402 m.
- Up to the power line at 600-650 hp they were lifted by modifying fuel, dumping, installing camshafts with a larger phase, split teeth. Then attach a more productive nozzle, 750 cc, HKS belt, MAF sensor with Z32, Splitfire coil and NGK 10 spark.
- To get maximum power from the RB26DETT engine, set the stringer kit to 2.8 liters or change the cylinder block to three liters from the RB30E.
- Then they installed forging pistons, connecting rods, extended sumps, tuning and stud pulleys, large valves with springs and guides, 282/282 phase camshafts, two Bosch 044 gas stations, and HKS 3037 turbines. As a result of the adjustment at a pressure of 2 bar on high octane sport fuel, 800 or more horses are removed from the wheels.
The development of Nissan’s power units in sports and racing cars has been so successful that it still claims to be a world leader in various categories, and holds leadership in terms of reliability and resources. The RB26DETT engine has been one such example, which has long been remembered by the global automotive community as an unforgettable model of power, speed and emotion.
The turbocharged Nissan RB26DETT engine with a volume of 2.6 liters was produced by Nissan in the period 1989 to 2002. This machine is equipped with three generations of Skyline, Stagea wagon station. It belongs to the RB25 family, where this engine is a turbo version consisting of RB25DE and RB25DET Engine.