The M57D30 diesel engine was produced from 1998 to 2012. During this period, it was put on many BMW cars. In particular, this engine can be found under the hood of the BMW 3-Series E46, BMW 5-Series E39, BMW 7-Series E38, BMW X5 E53.
Description and main features
The M57D30 is an in-line ICE with 6 aluminum cylinders and a 24-valve cylinder head. Moreover, the diameter of both intake and exhaust valves is 26 mm.
It also uses a Common Rail injection system, a timing chain with two camshafts and a chain drive, an intake manifold with swirl flaps and an EGR valve (it is responsible for exhaust gas recirculation).
In total, there are 9 versions of this engine with power from 184 to 286 hp. Among them there are both atmospheric and turbocharged units. Moreover, some internal combustion engines have one turbine, and some have two. In addition, the versions differ from each other in volume – it can be 2926 or 2993 cm3.
Applicability of M57D30 engine
- 3-Series E46 1999 – 2006
- 3-Series E90 2005 – 2012
- 5-Series E39 1998 – 2004
- 5-Series E60 2003 – 2010
- 6-Series E63 2007 – 2010
- 6-Series E64 2007 – 2010
- 7-Series E38 1998 – 2001
- 7 -Series E65 2001 – 2008
- X3-Series E83 2003 – 2010
- X5-Series E53 2001 – 2006
- X5-Series E70 2007 – 2010
- X6-Series E71 2008 – 2010
- Omega B (V94) 2001-2003
- Range Rover 3 (L322) 2002-2006
|Environmental class||Euro 2/3|
|Supply system||common rail|
|Cylinder block||Cast iron R6|
|cylinder head||aluminum 24v|
|Cylinder diameter||84 mm|
|Engine oil||6.75 l. 5w40|
|Average resource||400,000 km.|
Disadvantages and problems of the M57D30 engine
- Swirl flaps are traditionally attributed to the weaknesses of the M57D30 engine. They can break loose and get into other segments of the engine. And because of this, it can fail;
- Another characteristic disease of this engine is unusual knocks and noises. As a rule, they appear due to problems with the crankshaft damper. And if, as a result of the check, it turns out that something is wrong with the damper, then there is only one way out – to replace it with a new one;
- The resource of injectors on the M57D30 is only about 100,000 km. And it will definitely become even smaller when using bad diesel fuel;
- The choice of lubricant must also be approached responsibly. Practice shows that the life of the turbine can be seriously reduced if poor quality oil is poured into the M57D30 engine.
The M57D30 engine is controlled by a Bosch electronic unit, and in general, flashing it for professionals is not difficult.
The basic version of this 184 hp engine. (this is installed on the BMW 3-Series E46) can be pumped in this way up to 220 “horses”. As for the peak torque, it will rise here from 390 to 480 Nm.
And, say, the 197-horsepower version of the M57D30 (it is also found under the marking M57TU2) can, after an ordinary chip tuning, become more powerful by 40 “horses”. But that’s not all. Installing a downpipe will add another 20 hp to this result.