This M54B25 engine was produced from 2000 to 2006. Aluminum was also used for the cylinder block. Nothing has changed here in terms of the power system and the usual injector was adopted. The row arrangement did not surprise anyone. 6 cylinders helped to achieve an excellent result for performance, and there were 4 valves for each such cylinder.
The piston stroke was again 75 millimeters, but the diameter of the cylinder slightly decreased and amounted to 84 millimeters. The compression ratio here was again equal to 10.5. The volume of this engine of 2.5 liters did an excellent job with the absorption of fuel. Power was 192 horsepower at 6000 rpm. At 3500 rpm, the maximum torque was 237 N * m.
And again, at least 95th gasoline was suitable as fuel. Environmental standards Euro 3-4 made it possible to reduce the coefficient of atmospheric pollution. The engine weighed about 130 kilograms.
Gasoline consumption in urban areas reached a crazy 14 liters per 100 kilometers, on the highway it dropped to 7 liters per 100 kilometers, but within mixed territories it was 9.4 liters per 100 kilometers. The oil again diverged in the limit of 1000 grams per 1000 kilometers.
For the M54B25 engine, 5W-40 or 5W-30 oils were the best solutions. Up to 6.5 liters of oil were present in the engine at the same time. Replacement here was recommended for mileage every 10 thousand kilometers.
Again, the operating temperature of the engine was about 95 degrees. The resource of the engine turned out to be quite good and amounted to about 300 thousand kilometers. Potentially, tuning could make it possible to achieve 300 horsepower. The device was installed on the 325i, 525i, X3, X4, Z3 series.
This engine is installed on the following models:
- BMW 3 Series (E46)
- BMW 5-Series (E60)
- BMW 5-Series (E39)
- BMW X3 (E83)
Changes and modifications for this version are not provided, they are not needed for this model and will only work to the detriment of a wonderful engine.
M54B25 engine specifications
|Maximum torque, N * m (kg * m) at rpm.||245 (25) / 3500|
|Fuel consumption, l/100 km||8.9 – 11.9|
|engine’s type||In-line, 6-cylinder|
|CO2 emissions, g/km||176 – 289|
|Cylinder diameter, mm||84|
|Number of valves per cylinder||4|
|Maximum power, hp (kW) at rpm||192 (141) / 6000|
|Piston stroke, mm||75|
- The problems in this version repeat their predecessors. The M54B25 engine is durable and of high quality, it received very good marks from experts.
- The cylinder block of this apparatus has not changed, it is made of aluminum with cast iron sleeves.
- The crankshaft is also made of cast iron, the connecting rods have slightly increased, now you can see small-sized pistons.
- The cylinder head has not been changed either, there is a double vanos. But the long intake manifold has been updated and greatly reduced. The M54B25 got wide channels, this helped to improve the power of the engine and made it possible for all his systems to work freely.
- The electronic throttle valve received a diameter of 64 millimeters, and the control system from the well-known manufacturer Siemens has been noticeably updated.
- The M54B25 engine was often used on the 25i series. In 2005-2006, this engine began to be replaced by inline sixes and other high-quality devices.
Most Common M54B25 Engine Problems
- The oil is still very much reduced due to the piston rings, which are very often coked. New rings will make it possible to improve the performance of the machine, and parts from other models can be used. The crankcase vent valve may also need to be replaced, it must be done in a short time in the event of a breakdown.
- The engine can overheat, its condition directly depends on the cleanliness of the radiator. Cleaning, running air from cooling systems, checking the pump, radiator cap and thermostat will help solve all problems with this spare part.
- Ignition is sometimes skipped, this occurs often in other versions. Hydraulic compensators can also be coked. To solve the problem, you need to buy a new part.
- The red oiler burns out due to the poor condition of the pump or glass. These elements need to be replaced in time and everything will start working normally again.
- The position of the camshaft and its sensors are not entirely stable and sometimes fail. The threads of the fasteners are lame again, the thermostat does not last long, the requirements for the oil are greatly overestimated, and the uninterrupted resource is not long.
But still, this model is much more reliable than its predecessors. For swap and other operations, the M54B25 engine is perfect.
The power of the M54B25 engine is very easy to increase with the help of engine improvements to the 3 liter version. To achieve this result, it will be necessary to purchase a crankshaft, pistons, connecting rods, intake-exhaust, camshaft, nozzles and a control system. Stroker kit of this version will improve the power to 230 horsepower.
You can improve power even more with sports camshafts. Improved phases, lifts, cold inlets, equal length exhaust manifold, co-current exhaust pipe will help to achieve the desired result. A full tune will show between 260 and 270 horsepower.
Turbo can only be used after repeating the algorithm for previous turbo upgrades. Connecting rods and pistons in the basic configuration can withstand up to 400 horsepower.
In order not to do all of the above, you can purchase a high quality compressor kit. It will be mounted on base pistons and produce approximately 300 horsepower. The cost of such an undertaking is its main drawback, it is unlikely to be affordable for the owners of such engines.