The LE9 engine has a displacement of 2384 cc. see. The maximum engine power reaches 170 liters. With. The internal combustion engine is equipped with 4 cylinders. Five crankshaft main bearings are mounted on the block.
The support system included in the cylinder block provides the necessary rigidity, and also reduces the intensity of vibration and noise pollution. The cylinder head of the Chevrolet LE9 engine has seats and caps for the camshaft journals.
The cast iron crankshaft is equipped with 8 counterweights. An inertial damper is used to reduce crankshaft vibrations. There is a movable piston pin in the engine connecting rod.
To reduce the coefficient of friction, piston rings with reduced elasticity are used. The camshaft cover is equipped with a metal crankcase ventilation deflector. On the camshaft cover there are places for mounting the ignition system.
Balancing elements and inlet valves
The three-piece oil scraper ring is chrome-plated. Additional support for the oil pan is provided by a secure mount connected to the gearbox. A pair of balancing shafts is driven by a roller chain, which is tensioned by a special hydraulic tensioner.
The intake valves of the Chevrolet LE9 engine cylinders are equipped with a special rotary device. The valve stems have lip seals. An integral part of the intake manifold is the control mechanism of the crankcase ventilation system.
The LE9 engine has a problem – the appearance of cracks in the manifold. If, during the diagnostics of the Chevrolet LE9 engine, mechanical damage to the specified part is detected, then it must be replaced with a similar one.
LE9 engine applicability
- Chevrolet : HHR (2005-2011), Malibu (2012-2015), Captiva 1 (C140)
2011 – 2018
LE9 engine Specifications
|Environmental class||Euro 5|
|Fuel type||Gasoline AI-95|
|Supply system||Distribution injection|
|Cylinder block||Aluminum R4|
|cylinder head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder diameter||88 mm|
|piston stroke||98 mm|
Disadvantages and problems of the LE9 engine
- The main complaints of the owners are related to the rather modest resource of the timing chain;
- The balancer chain tensioner is not reliable (not included in the timing kit);
- If you tighten it strongly with the replacement of circuits, you will have to buy new phase regulators;
- After 100,000 km of run, lubricant consumption is often encountered due to the occurrence of rings;
- It should be noted that constantly appearing cracks on the exhaust manifold.