The G4JP engine is a two-liter engine that was produced on the Korean peninsula from 1997 to 2011. The engine is a complete copy of the unit from the Japanese brand Mitsubishi.
Depending on the year of manufacture, the internal combustion engine is capable of delivering from 131 to 147 hp. With careful operation and regular maintenance, the engine life is 300,000 kilometers.
Advantages of the internal combustion engine
In general, the G4JP engine is positioned as a fairly powerful and reliable engine. We note the main advantages of the motor:
- The engine is equipped with an injector.
- The cylinder block and cylinder head are made of aluminum.
- The design of the motor provides for automatic hydraulic compensators, thanks to which the motorist does not have to independently adjust the valves.
- According to the technical documentation, for the correct functioning of the internal combustion engine, it is enough to fill the car with AI-92 gasoline.
It is also worth noting that the G4JP engine is equipped with 16 valves. This explains its rather high power and good dynamics. And thanks to the unique injection system, which provides the most efficient mixture formation of fuel assemblies, fuel consumption is from 6.8 to 14 liters per 100 kilometers, which is considered a good indicator for engines of this class.
There are several ways to increase the power of the G4JP engine. The easiest is to install a 4-2-1 spider and a straight-through exhaust with ECU firmware. This will increase the number of horses by 5-7 units.
If this is not enough, you can additionally install camshafts 264 or 272. Such manipulations will provide an increase in power by another 10-15 hp.
Applicability of G4JP engine
- Hyundai : Sonata (1998-2011), Santa Fe (2004-2006), Journey (1999-2004)
- KIA: Magentis (2000-2005)
G4JP engine Specifications
|Torque||180 – 190 Nm|
|Environmental class||Euro 2/3|
|Fuel type||Gasoline AI-92|
|Cylinder block||Cast iron R4|
|cylinder head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder diameter||85 mm|
|piston stroke||88 mm|
|Engine oil||4.2 L 10W-40|
|Average resource||300 000 km|
Disadvantages and problems of the G4JP engine
Despite the rather good reliability indicators, the G4JP engine also has some weaknesses. So, the most common engine problems are:
- When the timing belt breaks, the valves bend. This is a serious breakdown, which leads to a major overhaul of the engine.
- A clatter from hydraulic lifters, which often occurs even before 100,000 mileage. The cost of replacing hydraulic compensators is quite high, so car owners, as a rule, continue to operate the engine, not paying attention to unpleasant noise.
- Loose engine mounts. Occurs when driving a car on bad roads.