If you are looking for a nice car with many advantages, few disadvantages, relatively cheap and trouble-free operation, you have a problem. There are really few such cars. However, a small group is the Ford Fiesta MK7 (seventh generation), which has only one disadvantage in the described engine version.
The Ford Fiesta debuted in 2008 and was an instant hit. It is true that it did not win the Car of the Year title (it took 2nd place behind the Opel Insignia), but customers fell in love with this model. Nothing unusual.
The Fiesta was already a brand in itself, especially in the UK market, and that was the first, really nice generation. To this day, despite the fact that it underwent a facelift last year, it looks modern and has lost nothing of its charm. It has not lost its greatest advantages to this day.
The car underwent a facelift in 2013. A new range of powertrains was introduced, including the 1.0 EcoBoost.
Ford Fiesta MK7 Characteristic
A small compact easily accommodates 4 adult passengers, and the driver has in front of him a cockpit that is pleasing to the eye, which in 2008 could impress with its design and a multitude of buttons, but was criticized over time for it.
However, the Fiesta still has a relative order compared to other Ford models. In addition, the car was (actually still is) nicely finished, well folded, and has a lot of style.
He presented himself brilliantly in the WRC version, but he never won the championship title – by the way. Importantly for aesthetes, the 5-door body, more practical, does not lose its charm in relation to the 3-door one.
On the other hand, if you do not have specific requirements, you can go ahead and buy 3-door versions, which are cheaper on the secondary market and you can bargain better. The door is long and the access to the rear seat is not particularly difficult.
The advantage of this model is the luggage compartment capacity of 295 liters. Unfortunately, after folding the backrests you will not get a flat floor, but a large load capacity can be considered an asset.
The model received 5 stars in crash tests, and in richer versions you can easily find ESP, automatic air conditioning, a set of airbags and a good-quality radio.
Ford Fiesta MK7 Construction
As is usually the case with B-segment cars, the design of this car is simple and predictable. Anyone who has read about the superb driving characteristics of this model and expects a complex independent suspension at the rear will be positively surprised. Despite the perfect tuning, there is “only” a torsion beam at the rear. Ford has shown that it does not have to be a disadvantage.
Meanwhile, an equally straight MacPherson strut with a delta link is used at the front. The steering system could be hydraulic or electric assisted. The rear braking system uses drums to ensure short braking distances.
Ford Fiesta MK7 engines
Ford Fiesta had a wide range of engine, including diesel engine. The basis were engines with a rather specific designation of 1.25 Duratec. Each manufacturer would mark these engine 1.2 l, but Ford used 1.25 Duratec for many years, which has remained a tradition. The engine was available in two power versions: 60 and 80-82 HP. We will deal with this engine in the article.
The larger one, with a capacity of 1.4 liters, provided slightly better performance because it already had a serious power of 96 HP. The 1.6-liter engine in the sports version provided 120 HP.
TDCi diesels with displacements from 1.4 TDCi to 1.6 liters had power from 60 to 90 HP. At the end of the production of the pre-facelift model, the power of the 1.6 TDCi engine was increased to 95 hp.
What’s Common Faults On Ford Fiesta MK7?
- We’ll start with the engine problems. The 1.25 Duratec engine in the weaker version has 60 HP and it is, to put it brutally, a total mule. Why am I writing about this? Well, you can really be surprised how weak such a nice car can be. This is not a joke, it really can happen that someone thinks about some kind of failure. If you buy a stronger, 82-horse variety, you will know what I am writing about.
- Here, too, look for dynamics, although the power is sufficient for normal driving, also on the road. The 1.25 Duratec engine is very polished and there are basically no design flaws. It can only take oil at higher mileage, but the main reason is the dynamic driving style that users are forced to follow. It may also mean a slight unsealing of the engine. Generally, the mechanics of the engine cannot be criticized. Worse with the gearbox.
- The 1.25 Duratec engine worked only with a 5-speed manual, which may have problems even with low mileage. The frequently popping up reverse gear is still nothing. It is worse when forward gears begin to “disappear”. This is clearly a problem with the control mechanism.
- Sometimes adjustment helps, sometimes cable replacement, but it happens that the gearbox that has suffered from a faulty mechanism needs repair. In cars operated mainly in the city, the clutch wears out quickly. They must be replaced with the clutch slave cylinder.
- The worst thing is not that the problem with the gearbox control appears at low mileage and I do not mean several dozen, but several thousand kilometers. On the other hand, when buying a car with a mileage of over 100,000 km, you can count on the fact that the previous owner has eliminated the fault.
- The running gear has no major problems with operation on US and UK roads. Even a bad road condition does not have a negative impact on the comfort and quality of driving. The pleasure of driving this model, unfortunately, comes with minor problems with the steering gear, which sometimes knocks and crashes. There is play on the steering column, sometimes the cross cross needs to be replaced.
- Sometimes it will be necessary to replace the entire transmission, but it is not a very expensive component. Worse, just like in the case of the gearbox, failures appeared in some examples quickly, with low mileage. Another cause of rattling is the drive joints that wear out fairly quickly.
- The rest of the undercarriage wears out normally. The mileage of the vast majority of model is still small and it is difficult to talk about more serious faults. It is a relatively young car and is most often used by women for short distances. There are also many fleet cars, but their intensive use is also specific.
- As with most other models, there are occasional electrical problems. The principle is simple – the better the equipment, the greater the likelihood of a failure.
- Users complain about light bulbs that burn out quickly, which may be caused by high voltage in the installation. It is worth replacing the bulbs with products with an extended service life.
Ford Fiesta MK7 Operating costs
Ford Fiesta MK7, like any other generation of this model, is a cheap car to operate. The only problem may be the engine. Someone who likes a smooth ride will not complain, but those who are focused on dynamics should simply choose a more powerful engine.
If you try to get 1.25 Duratec engine of good performance, you have an average chance of a satisfactory result, and fuel consumption will increase to 8 l / 100 km, which is as much as the Sport version with a 120 HP engine. It is not recommended to install a gas system for this engine, and even if it does, it is just something of a higher quality.
Adjusting the valves is quite problematic because the glasses are changed. Better to mount gas to 1.4 Duratec. In selected markets, despite its dislike of LPG, Ford installed factory gas installations for this engine.
There is no point in worrying about the supposedly big problems with the gearbox or the steering column. Although it looks serious, a good mechanic is able to repair faults at a low cost and for a long time the car in these areas becomes trouble-free.
Mainly bushings are replaced in the chassis, but even if the non-replaceable pins of the rocker arms are worn out, the entire rocker arm is not expensive. The rear brake system has drums that are more durable and reliable than conventional discs.
Ford Fiesta MK7 Parts prices and availability
There are no problems with replacements, often available immediately. Also small items and unusual original parts are not always expensive. So don’t worry if something breaks that you don’t buy as a replacement.
It is worth remembering that the brand are originals, but you can buy them at replacement stores. In general, parts for the petrol Fiesta are cheap, as shown in the table below, prepared on the basis of the market catalog.
Ford Fiesta MK7 Market situation
Although the car is popular in our country and many model have left in some countries showrooms, imported cars prevail on the secondary market. The more expensive diesel engines are definitely on the top. The advantage of these engines is their fairly good adaptation to driving over short distances.
Another thing is that Fiesta customers rarely install a gas installation, so theoretically cheaper to drive on diesel. There are many young cars from the end of production (pre-facelift version) and it is much easier to buy a 5-door model.
The most beautiful models, often with diesel engines under the hood, cost around $6720 to $8300. The prices of the 3-door versions are lower by an average of around $1120.
The Fiesta Mk7 from the beginning of production can be purchased for as little as $3360, but watch out for cars in fleets. The market is rich enough for everyone to find something for themselves.
It is worth considering the choice of engine version. The purchase of a diesel engine will not ruin your budget, but it may bring unexpectedly high costs in the first year or two, which is unlikely in the case of gasoline variants.
Is it worth For Buying Ford Fiesta MK7?
Of course. The Ford Fiesta is a trouble-free car, and the faults you have read about are actually small flaws that, once and effectively eliminated, bring you peace of mind for a long time.
Version 1.25 Duratec is recommended for people who do not require dynamics and do not want to invest in LPG installations. It is not worth choosing a weaker variety, even if it tempts with its price. In the Fiesta Mk7, 82 gasoline horsepower is a minimum.