The need for cars with diesel power is one that still counts between the amount of economical propaganda injection cars. Ford’s 1.6L Duratorq DLD-416 TDCI Engine is still one of the best in its class.
1.6L Duratorq DLD-416 TDCI Reviews
Although the need for cars with injection systems is currently a top priority in the car market throughout the world does not merely eliminate diesel-engined cars in several sectors of the market needs. The fact proves it. There are still many in the production of car engines with diesel systems such as the prototype Ford 1.6L Duratorq DLD-416 TDCI Engine developed by Ford Motor Company.
Ford, known as the world’s largest company, does not simply forget the market sector for the need for high-powered cars with diesel systems. Because seeing the rate of development of the mining world with severe track conditions and can only be passed by offroad cars which incidentally use diesel engines.
Ford 1.6L Duratorq DLD-416 TDCI Engine developed from 2003 to the present is one type of engine from the diesel engine family developed by Ford. In developing this engine, Ford is affiliated with several manufacturers supplying auto parts needs. Such as Suzuki, Volvo, PSA, Mini, and Mazda who have worked closely with Ford in developing other engines.
The beginning of the development of this engine was the “Puma” prototype which was developing since 1984 with London Taxi as the most famous company producing it. Then along with the development of technology and market demand, in the early 2000s, Ford began mass production of modern diesel engines seriously to reach the market sector needs for cars with large cylinder capacities.
Ford 1.6L Duratorq DLD-416 TDCI Specification
Although this series will not be able to match some other injection engine series in terms of fuel use. In its use in a car that is intending for the large field, this engine is quite efficient and effective.
- Like other engine materials made by Ford in the framework of this engine. It still uses Aluminum as the base material for its Cylinder Block and Cylinder Head. Which is considered as the simplest partition and has a fairly stable quality as the basic material forming a machine.
- Using the Common Rail combustion system that makes the exhaust gas emissions more controlled and does not consume too much wasteful fuel. So the engine is fairly environmentally friendly enough to use.
- Using the SOHC system as a Valvetrain Layout and has 2 or 4 numbers of valves per cylinder.
- Has a power of 88-177 / 4000, and torque weighing 148-199- / 1750. In this case, it is quite heavy to compare with the engine used in some cars in general. The use of this torque measure is to maximize the force and power load generated for a typical car with a diesel engine.
1.6 Duratorq TDCI Problems And Reliability
- Some problems that might be generating due to the use of the Ford 1.6L Duratorq DLD-416 TDCI Engine are turbo engine failures which might cause mud buildup in the feed pipe due to oil supply problems. Of the several cases, the most dangerous one is that when oil supply leaks cannot be overcoming, it will potentially cause the turbo engine to explode.
- But during routine maintenance and regular checking at regular intervals, there will be no severe problems such as the case of turbo explosion in the Ford 1.6L Duratorq DLD-416 TDCI Engine. Some of the cases above mostly occur because of irregular maintenance and oil change intervals that are too long though this machine has been designed so efficiently and effectively not to need a lot of replacement parts at each range.
- Although the frame uses only a series of lightweight aluminum, this machine is also equipping with a small chain mounted on the cylinder head and timing belt. In addition to using a conventional rail system, several types of engines are equipped with variable geometry Garrett GT 15 turbocharged intercooler systems. This turbocharged intercooler system will optimize the cooling system on the engine to minimize engine damage due to overheating.
- This Ford engine 1.6L Duratorq DLD-416 TDCI has succeeded in being one of the drivers that count in its class — evidenced by several prototype cars that use the engine quite in needs in the market such as the Ford Fusion, Ford Fiesta, Ford Focus, and Ford C-Max.
- A car with a diesel engine is indeed known as a car that is intended for its ability to pass through several dense terrains such as uphill and offroad roads, so it is not surprising that its size is large enough and is compatible for cars with series or broad cylinder types.
- Cars with diesel engines such as the Ford 1.6L Duratorq DLD-416 TDCI Engine have not been able to optimally reduce noise and vibration in the car so that it is not a top priority in terms of driving comfort. However, the power and suspension produced by this engine deliver better acceleration compared to several other injection engine series.
- No significant problems are resulting from the use of this machine, because the optimization is quite effective and efficient by the needs of its use. With this DLD engine series cars can travel more than 100,000 miles without worrying about the heat problems generated by engine performance.
In its development, the Duratorq engine series has several types and specifications, such as the DLD series, which were introduced to the public since 1998 and applied to several prototype Mazda cars. Then there is ZSD, better known as “Puma,” then TDCi, V6 and V8. However, this discussion refers more to one of the DLD engine series namely the Ford 1.6L Duratorq DLD-416 TDCI Engine.
Duratorq 1.6 is more famous for the term “Tiger,” which was developing in the UK, some cars that use this engine application are Ford, Mazda, Peugeot, Mini, Volvo, and Citroen. But some parts of this machine have been developed by Peugeot Company. And what’s interesting in its development is in 2011 when engineers on the pretext of getting 16 valve heads, in the end, this machine has eight-cylinder head valves with one camshaft.
This DLD or Tiger engine series uses the HDI and TDCi systems in the mechanism of the engine structure and combustion process. HDI itself stands for High Diesel Injection and TDCi, namely Turbocharged Diesel Common Injection which aims to optimize the Common Rail Injection System. The system is a method of fuel injection into a combustion chamber, but the resulting pressure is not placing in the same room. The goals of this system is to optimize combustion and produce fewer exhaust emissions.