As we know that Ford is one of the biggest automotive companies which primarily produce a commercial vehicle and machine. The Ford engine’s quality is mostly excellent and compatible with any kinds of a big vehicle. The 1.6L Duratec TI-VCT Engine will be our concern for this article.
About of 1.6L Duratec TI-VCT Engine
The 1.6L Duratec TI-VCT is a different version from the original 1.6L Duratec which improves many features that will be explained next. In general, this engine is equipped with the variable timing and valve system, new software, and the new intake manifold. It was firstly named as Zetec SE series which renamed as Duratec later started its life in 1995.
The TI-VCT refers to a Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing, which is an automobile variable valve timing developed by Ford. They give the name of Ti-VCT to the engine with the ability to advance or retard the timing of both intake and exhaust camshaft independently as the improvement version of the VCT, which only able to operate on a single camshaft. The main feature of VCT is to reduce fuel and emission consumption and provides more optimum performance for a great driving experience.
Some of Ford Ti-VCT Engines use a BorgWarner’s Cam Torque Actuation which utilizes the existing torsional energy to rotate the camshaft. Compared to the engine with a fixed camshaft, this engine is completely efficient because it uses an electronically controlled hydraulic valve that directly controlling the high pressure of engine oil into the camshaft.
For Twin Cam or DOHC engines, the VCT was used on either the intake or exhaust both camshaft which currently known as TI-VCT. the usage of variable camshaft timing is to improve the emissions, and vehicle with VCT on its exhaust is do not require the EGR or Exhaust Gas Recirculation as retarding the exhaust car timing achieves the same result. The primary usage of VCT which installed on exhaust camshaft is to increase the engine power and the torque and also able to optimize the opening of intake valves to match the engine conditions.
In physical, this engine is very light. Its cylinder block is made from the aluminum, and there is the 16 valves two camshaft aluminum on the top. This engine also has a timing belt which requires the user to replace the old one every 100,000 miles driving. To adjust the backlash of valves, this engine hasn’t the hydraulic tappets as well. The 1.6L Duratec TI-VCT Engine is perfectly reliable to drive instead of straightforward 1.6L Duratec. Eventually, for the fast driving lovers, this engine is less recommended rather than the Duratec HE 2.0 liter.
As the overview before knowing the certain review, you have to know what is the advantages and disadvantages of the 1.6L Duratec Ti-VCT from Ford Engines.
The 1.6L Duratec TI-VCT Engine Advantages:
- Has a powerful engine
- Responsive transmission
- 6 speeds automatic
- Less fuel consumption
- Good handling and complete security
- Good finishing and voice command
However, the 1.6L Duratec TI-VCT Engine disadvantages are:
- There is only an automatic version
- The responsive transmission is less supportive of the lower speeds
- It has a low ground clearance
- A weak resale value, and
- Limited service channel
The 1.6L Duratec TI-VCT Engine Specs
For further information about the detailed and specifics specs, here is the resumed data:
|Cylinder Block and Head Materials||Aluminum|
|Number of Cylinder||4|
|Fuel System||Electronic Fuel Injection|
|Valves per cylinder||4|
|Type of Internal Combustion Engine||Four strokes, naturally aspirated|
|Oil change interval, mile||6,000|
|Engine oil weight||5W-20, 5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, Liter||1.4|
The Review of 1.6L Duratec TI-VCT Engine
- The Ford 1.6L Duratec TI-VCT is the improved version of the 1.4-liter engine which has the main problem such as knocks, noises, vibrations, and heating. 1.6L is fixed them with the TI-VCT system and resulting in the 115 hp output.
- The weak point from this version is the timing belt and timing mechanism engine clutch itself. This is unpractical to do. Hence, even though the fuel consumption is most efficient, the timing belt and rollers replacement is quite expensive. You have to make sure that every 100 thousand miles to spend money for those replacements.
- However, the 1.6-liter version is suitable and more fun than a simple 100 horsepower engine. This is completely worth for the system and performance choice, even it is less recommended for active driving fans which more recommended to look towards the Duratec HE.
- Even this is much of a good engine so far, the Ford 1.6L Engine is an old version one, so there is so many users recommend you to move on to the next millennial version. This engine has a little bit rough and suffers from a slight top-end rate. Hence, the Ford 1.6L Duratec isn’t smoothly compatible with Focus and Fiesta Zetec.
- According to the other review, the timing belt is quiet hard to fix once it is broken. It needs an exact specialist to avoid further damage. This is needed costs a lot. Then, it needs routinely oil replacements after 6 months for the driving ready as well.
- It has a good suspension in the hatchback classes. The suspension is quite smooth with good handling as well. This engine also has a stable power even at a high speed, so it can be the best choice for maneuver by its low ground clearance.
So, that’s all the honest review of the 1.6L Duratec TI-VCT Engine. The information provided above is based on the honest review from the Ford Engine’s club live chat and another related resource. I hope this article is helpful as your consideration before certainly choosing the engine. Finally, the balance aspects for both advantages and disadvantages might suffer you. So, the best judgment is come after trying by yourself. So, thanks for reading and see you.