The Ford Engines or popularly known as Ford 385 Engine is the family of Ford Motor Company which is the biggest automotive company in the North America. This company is focus to produce a wide range of commercial vehicle.
Fords produced and develop gasoline and diesel engine for big vehicles, such as cars, trucks, some other commercial vehicles. Nowadays, Ford using the newest technology design and production for its engine products.
EcoBoost is one of the gasoline engine injection variants which directly injected with Turbocharger which produced by Ford Motor Company and developed by FEV Engineering.
EcoBoost engine is designed to have powerful energy as same as the standard engine with the bigger capacity cylinder, but have more 20% fuel efficiency and better with less gas emission to 15%.
Ford develope EcoBoost as the mixture alternative of Hybrid vehicle and diesel engine technology which has better efficiency and higher energy.
1.0L Ecoboost i-3 Engine Reviews
One of the most popular Ford Engine EcoBoost is 1.0L Ecoboost i-3 Engine which is firstly produced in 2012. The advantages of this variant are has a faster warm-up and quickly add the weight.
The exhaust manifold is merged to the cylinder, which can effectively reduce the warm-up time and improve the efficiency.
With 1.0 liter capacity, the Ford 1.0L is the smallest engine of Ford’s family. It has an open-deck design cylinder which made of grey cast iron.
This material is heavier than aluminum ones but improving the warm-up efficiency by up to 50%.
According to ford.com, this EcoBoost engine of Ford awarded “Oscar Trophy” from the International Engine of The Year in 2015 as the automotive technique engine.
This engine classified as the best engine in its class depend on the driving cares, performance, economy, smoothness, and the technology which is accessed by more than 85 automotive journalists from more than 30 countries.
Moreover, 1.0L Ecoboost i-3 Engine is the first engine which awarded as the public winner of International Engine of The Year three times in sequences in 2014 and awarded as the best engine in 2012.
By combining for both high efficiency, ultra-low friction, and also durable with a powerful performance, those reward is very worth it to awarded for 1.0L Ecoboost i-3 Engine.
This smallest version of EcoBoost engine is identically less fuel and energy consumption and completed with a Bosch high direct full injection plus a powerful Turbocharger.
This 1.0-liter version has a small and water-cooled, a high-speed turbocharger, and low inertia.
To reduce emission, a 1.0-liter version has a coupled of close three ways catalyst, universal oxygen sensor, and monitor sensor post catalyst. This engine completely meets he Euro-5 and Euro-6 European emission standard levels.
You can check this : 16 Best Ford Engines Ever Built In The World
1.0L Ecoboost 1-3 Engine Specs
For more further information about this engine, here is the important specific detail of 1.0L EcoBoost:
|Manufacturer||Craiova, Romania, Chongqing, China, and Cologne, Germany|
|Application||Ford Focus, Fiesta, EcoSport, Mondeo, C-Max, B-Max, and Transit Courier|
|Engine Oil Capacity in liter||1.4|
|Displacement in cc||999 cc (61.0 cu in)|
|Type of internal combustion engine||Four-stroke, Turbo Charger|
|Bore, mm||71.9 mm (2.83 in)|
|Stroke, mm||82.0 mm (3.22 in)|
|Fuel System||Direct Fuel Injection|
|Cylinder Head material||Aluminum|
|Cylinder Block material||Cast Iron|
|Number of cylinders||3|
|Valves per cylinder||4|
|Power, hp||100-125 hp (74-92 kW)/6000|
|Engine weight||213 lbs (97 kgs)|
|Oil change interval||15,000 km (9,000 mile ) or 12 months|
|Engine oil weight||SAE 5W-20|
1.0 EcoBoost Engine Problems and Reliability
Even this small engine is seemly perfect. The 1.0 EcoBoost Engine has some problems and reliability in term of usage and other aspects. Here are the explanations:
- This 1.0 EcoBoost engine problems has only a direct fuel injection and didn’t complete with fuel in the intake ports. This kind of fuel has a role as a natural cleaner. Without it, the soot and carbon layer covering the intake valve stems and blocking the airflow through the ports.
- The restricted airflow may cause some chain. The dirty intake valve has a problems with tight closing, which needs a more powerful engine power can lead to a severe damage problems of valves or valve seats.
- The 1.0 EcoBoost engine which produced before 2014 has a problems with the bottom hose of a coolant system. The coolant system will automatically split and dump the coolant off, while the sensor shows that temperature is in a normal. Many engines are brown up before Ford officially changed that by redesigned one.
- This coolant problems couldn’t easily underestimate. Keep your eye to control the coolant level to avoid some cracks and lose the coolant because there is a pipe. That runs out of expansion bottle to the engine, which can damage the engine.
- But, Ford can rapidly fix the issues where reliability can significantly improve. Many car owners reported that they are driving for more than 100K miles without any engine problems. Besides that, Ford recently known as deficient fuel consumption, high torque, and low emission tax engine, which highly recommended as a choice in modern life.
- With a durable and simple design, 1.0L EcoBoost fits for both small and big vehicles from the slightest like hatchback Ford Fiesta to a mid-size car like Ford Mondeo.
- While using for a high mileage engine, 1.0L Ecoboost i-3 Engine is perfect can suffer from some fuel pressure issues. Which produced by the fuel pump and doesn’t allow the engine to achieve the full numbers of its performance.
- Hence, Ford recently replaces the worn cam bucket with a redesigned one which successfully increases the fuel pressure and performance.
So, that’s all the quiet but straightforward complete review about the 1.0L Ecoboost i-3 Engine from Ford Engine which recently succeeds to complete the standard level of the various commercial vehicle.
With its many best performance and advantages, this small engine is highly recommended to use as the best choice for your automotive stuff.