In today’s article, we will talk about the modern Toyota 8NR-FTS series gasoline engine 2 D-4T VVTi 115 hp and find out the maximum resource before overhaul, fuel consumption, maintainability, service intervals, specifications, overall reliability, design, common problems (malfunctions and sores), distinctive features of a turbocharged engine. In addition, we will consider the specifics of the device of the engine, as well as what advantages and disadvantages.
The 8NR-FTS turbocharged petrol engine is one of the latest Toyota developments. The engineers were tasked with creating a high-quality and modern internal combustion engine for the flagship advanced models of Lexus and Toyota. And we can say with full confidence that they succeeded. The new engine uses a lot of modern technologies and systems. The production of the engine began in 2014 and it is still in use today.
8NR-FTS Engine Characteristics
|Working volume||1.2 l|
|Number of cylinders||four|
|Number of valves||16|
|Cylinder diameter||71.5 mm|
|piston stroke||74.5 mm|
|Injection type||D-4T (direct injection)|
|Power||115 HP at 5200 rpm|
|Torque||185 N*m at 1500-4000 rpm|
|Fuel||gasoline 95, 98|
|– urban cycle||7.7 l / 100 km|
|– suburban cycle||5.4 l / 100 km|
Here, we will investigate the characteristics of this engine by referring to the data of the 8NR-FTS type turbo engine installed in Toyota’s NRE210 type Corolla Touring WxB 2019/09 model.
8NR-FTS type turbo engine specifications
Toyota’s NRE210 type Corolla Touring WxB
|Vehicle model||3BA-NRE210W type|
|Car name & grade||Corolla Touring |
|Inner diameter x stroke||71.5mm x 74.5mm|
|Bore stroke ratio||1.04|
|Single cylinder volume||299.1cc|
|Fuel used||Regular gasoline|
|Maximum output||116PS / 5200-5600rpm|
|Maximum torque||18.9kgm / 1500-4000rpm|
First of all, as a basic structure, the 8NR type engine is a long stroke type engine with a bore (inner diameter) of 71.5 mm, a stroke (stroke) of 74.5 mm, and a bore stroke ratio of 1.04 (the stroke amount is larger than the piston diameter).
When the displacement and the number of cylinders are the same, the engine has better torque characteristics in the low rpm range than the short stroke type and is easy to handle, but in the high rpm range, the filling efficiency deteriorates and the sliding resistance increases. There is a concern that the output will drop.
Moreover, when the number of revolutions is the same, the average piston speed tends to be higher than that of the short stroke type, so the load on the engine tends to be heavier.
Among the car models registered on this site, the oldest car model equipped with the 8NR-FTS type turbo engine is the second generation Auris [NRE185H type | 2015/04] released from 2012/08 , and the newest car model is It is the first C-HR [NGX10 type | 2020/08] released from December 2016 , and all 12 models of NA cars are registered, 0 models, and turbo / SC cars are 12 models.
Evaluation from the viewpoint of transient characteristics and liter equivalent horsepower
|Image of engine performance curve|
|Changes in horsepower||39.6PS → 116PS|
|Transition of torque||18.9kgm → 14.8kgm|
|Liter horsepower||96.99PS / L|
|Liter torque||15.8kgm / L|
The Corolla Touring’s in-line 4-cylinder 1196cc, regular gasoline turbo engine, which is the reference vehicle for this time, produces a maximum output of 116 horsepower at 5200-5600 rpm and a maximum torque of 18.9 kgm at 5200-5600 rpm.
If you know the horsepower and the number of revolutions, you can know the torque, and if you know the torque and the number of revolutions, you can know the horsepower. The torque at 5600 rpm is 14.8kgm.
The horsepower per liter of displacement is 96.99PS / L and the torque is 15.8kgm / L, and the horsepower per cylinder (single cylinder volume 299.1cc) is 29.0PS and the torque is 4.7kgm.
When the 8NR type turbo engine is applied to a 10-step evaluation based on the deviation value aggregated from all turbo cars registered on this site, the evaluation is ” standard ” with a converted horsepower of [ 6 ] and a converted torque of [ 6 ]. It is categorized as ” engine with high output (upper middle) “.
Displacement increase, compression ratio increase, bore stroke ratio change
|Normal displacement and compression ratio|
|Bore||Stroke||Displacement||Compression ratio||B / S ratio|
|Displacement expansion by bore up|
|Displacement expansion by increasing stroke|
There are three factors that determine the engine displacement: the number of cylinders, the bore diameter, and the stroke amount. By increasing or decreasing these, engines with various displacements are created.
Here, regardless of whether it is actually possible, the displacement when the piston diameter is expanded from the genuine 71.5 mm to 74.5 mm in 0.5 mm increments and when the stroke is extended from the genuine 74.5 mm to 79.5 mm in 1 mm increments. And, the change of the compression ratio when it is assumed that the combustion chamber volume does not change is listed.
* It is easy to say stroke up, but if you want to make a long stroke, you need a crankshaft and a compatible connecting rod, and if you can not divert it, you have to make it in one-off, so it is expensive anyway. It is a menu that requires considerable preparedness to put out.
B / S ratio is an abbreviation for bore stroke ratio, and as the bore diameter is widened, the characteristics of the long stroke type, square type, or short stroke type are approached. In the case of 8NR type engine, the ratio changes from 1.04 to 1.00 when the bore is increased by +3.0mm from the genuine piston.
Increased displacement with engines with similar piston diameters
There are 10 engines with pistons that are close in size to the 8NR type engine with a piston diameter of 71.5 mm, so as a side note, let’s calculate the displacement when the piston is diverted and the bore is raised.
|Eg model||Piston diameter||Displacement|
Engines with similar piston diameters are Toyota: 1NR type 1329cc 72.5mm mounted on NGJ10 type iQ, Honda: L15B type 1496cc 73.0mm mounted on GK5 type Fit, Honda: L15C mounted on FK7 type Civic Type 1496cc 73.0mm, Honda: LEA type 1496cc 73.0mm mounted on ZF2 type CR-Z, Suzuki: K10C type 996cc 73.0mm mounted on WB42S type Valeno, Suzuki: Mounted on ZC33S type Swift Sport K14C type 1371cc 73.0mm etc. is applicable.
(Although the number of people who find pleasure in such a quest has decreased) No matter how close the diameter is, there are factors such as the diameter of the piston pin, the height of the piston, and the convenience of valve recess, so if possible, the same manufacturer, If possible, if you choose the same fuel and the same intake method, and if possible, the one with a similar displacement, the possibility of genuine diversion may increase.
Average piston speed
Next, let’s look at the average piston speed. The average piston speed at 5600 rpm, where an engine with a stroke of 74.5 mm produces maximum output, is 13.9 m / s , which is a piston speed that travels a distance of 13.9 meters per second (50.0 km / h at speed). It means that is moving up and down.
At 1500 rpm, which produces the maximum torque, 3.7 m / s, and when 6100 rpm, which is 500 rpm higher than 5600 rpm, which produces the maximum output, is assumed to be the rev limit, the average speed is 15.1 m / s.
For reference, I calculated the change in piston speed when an 8NR engine with a stroke of 74.5 mm is rotated up to 10000 rpm. Looking at this, it seems that the speed increases by approximately 4.95 m / s as the number of revolutions increases by 2000 revolutions.
Considering only 20.0 m / s, which is a guideline for a general engine premised on mass production, it is mechanical to set the upper limit of high rotation speed to about 8050 rotations (whether it turns or not). It seems to be preferred both mentally.
8NR-FTS 1.2 D-4T VVTi Problems And Reliability
- High oil consumption. The most common complaint that can be found on specialized auto sites regarding the engine under review is directly related to the increased lubricant consumption that is observed in cars from the first kilometers. As a rule, an oil burner (lubrication consumption can reach 800-900 grams per thousand kilometers) is directly related to the design features of the parts of the cylinder-piston group of the engine (deep location of the piston rings and the specific shape of the pistons themselves).
- Crackling sound at idle. An equally popular complaint of car owners about the monitored engine is the appearance of extraneous sound in the form of crackling from the side of the engine compartment when the internal combustion engine is idling. In most cases, such noises from under the hood appear due to the design features of the clutches of the variable valve timing mechanism VVTi / VVT-iW. To date, cases of warranty repairs have already been noted to replace the loud couplings of the phase control system, however, according to the owners, there is no particular improvement after that.
- Accelerated soot formation. Also, this Japanese is famous for the rapid formation of soot in powertrain systems, and special merit in this can be given to the EGR valve, which clogs rapidly. It is for this reason that many auto mechanics recommend that car owners turn off the USR valve, which causes quite a lot of headaches during operation.
- Short-lived water pump and ignition coils. The water-type pump and individual ignition coils, which can fail up to 80,000 kilometers. In addition, on specialized auto portals, one can also find complaints from owners regarding the short service life of the two thermostats that this modern internal combustion engine is equipped with, although the cases are still generally isolated.
- Profitability. These are quite technological and modern developments that began to be installed in 2015 on Toyota cars.
- Ecological purity. The transition period standards from Euro 5 to Euro 6 are fully met in these engine.
- Valve train chain. A chain is installed on both engines, which allows you not to think about the maintenance of the gas distribution system and reduces the cost of operation.
- Practicality. Despite the small volumes, the engines are perfectly tuned for operation in normal domestic conditions on traditional cars.
- Reliability. Simple and proven solutions have already been used on other engine, there are no minor problems in the operation of the engine.
At certain intervals, you will have to clean the EGR and intake manifold. On the 8NR-FTS, the turbine may also require repair. Already after 100,000 km, the engine lose some of their confidence and begin to demand attention. Engines are very sensitive to the quality of oil and fuel, so only good fluids recommended by the manufacturer should be poured into them.
Summing up everything written above, we note that, according to the manufacturer, Toyota, the approximate service life that is incorporated in the 8NR-FTS series gasoline turbocharged engine D-4T 16v with VVT-iW / VVT-i phase control system, is in the range of 200-240 thousand kilometers to critical failures or capital. However, according to auto mechanics, in reality, with the systematic maintenance of a Japanese engine by a car owner, the life expectancy of a 1.2-liter engine can be safely extended to 260-300 thousand kilometers