3.7L V6 Duratec Ti-VCT Engine is one of the 3.7 Cyclone V6 engine family of Ford. Since it was launched in 2007, it got the huge attention of engine enthusiasts because it’s a tough engine owned by Ford Motor Company.
This engine that was first produced by Mazda is well-known as its name, Ford Duratec 37. It was put on, for the first time, in Mazda CX-9 which was named as MZI 3.7 in 2008. After it was undertaken by Ford, there are several car series of Ford and Lincoln’s cars installed on this engine.
They are Ford Edge Sport, Ford F150, Lincoln MKT, and Lincoln MKS. When it was installed in Ford Mustang, 3.7 Cyclone Engine was improved into standard one and replacing the 4.0L Cologne V6 engine.
Generates Better Power of 3.7 Cyclone Engine
Like other Cyclone engines, 3.7L V6 Duratec Ti-VCT Engine carries the 86.6 mm stroke in its body. It also has a cylinder block with contemporary architecture that is made of the cast aluminum.
The cylinder heads that are made of aluminum alloy have four valves per cylinder. Plus, it is equipped with two-driven camshafts on top. To make this engine working better to produce power, Ford equips this engine with a forged crankshaft that is made of 4130 alloy steel, cast-in piston oil squirters, and 6 bolt billet steel main caps.
What makes it a little bit different is its additional displacement. This 3.7L V6 Duratec Ti-VCT Engine has an increased bore size that is 3.0 mm. It is a bigger size than the 3.5L version. It carries 3,726 CC.
About the cylinders, since this engine is an open-deck type, they are on the top of the engine block with total cylinders 6. The type of combustion os four-stroke and it is aspirated naturally. For its compression ratio, this engine applies 10.5: 1 with a 1-4-2-5-3-6 firing order.
The New Modified 3.7 Cyclone Engine
After its launching in 2007, this gasoline-powered engine experiences modification to boost its performance of generating power, speed, and reliability. It applies a sequential multi-port fuel injection for its fuel system with V configuration.
Ford 3.7 Cyclone V6 Ti-VCT Reliability
- Like other 3.7 Cyclone, its primary timing chain deals with a water pump and intake camshafts. The intake camshafts for each cylinder bank offers rotation to the exhaust camshaft through a secondary roller chain. This roller chain is considered as a small-single one. But in 2011, the 3.7L V6 Duratec Ti-VCT Engine got some improvements.
- This engine is equipped with variable cam timing (iVCT) for its intake camshafts. Plus, in the same year, the twin-independent variable cam timing or it is Ti-VCT on intake and exhaust of the engine was first installed.
- To get power from the engine, Ford completes 3.7L V6 Duratec Ti-VCT Engine with Ford’s Front-end Accessory Drive ( FEAD) that is stretchy. Moreover, Direct Actuating Mechanical Buckets for its valvetrain is installed with the DOHC valvetrain layout.
- The bucket’s lobe contact surface is polished highly. The sizes of the valve are 1.45 inches for its intake and 1.22 inches for its exhaust. The valves are improved with 5.5 mm stems. The size of the intake valve lift is 9.8 mm and its exhaust valve lift is 9.1 mm.
- A two-piece intake manifold is put on the top of the engine while the fuel injectors are in the lower intake. The manifolds are made of plastic but the exhaust manifolds are from cast iron.
- The manifolds of Mustang and F-150 carry oval exhaust ports to the collector. But in 2015, this 3.7 Cyclone Engine was replaced by 3.5L Ti-VCT V6.
- This engine can contain 5.7L engine oil capacity with oil filter with the oil change interval 10,000 miles or 15,000 km.
Ford 3.7L V6 Ti-VCT Problems
- The 3.7L V6 Duratec Ti-VCT Engine is a reliable engine. The life engine of 3.7L V6 Ti-VCT Engine is expected over 200,000 miles or it is about 300,000 km if users maintain it timely and properly. But its cam torque may get problems that are phasers failure which is common enough for this kind of engine.
- Then, its chain-driver water pump can be broken easily due to its position. Since it is behind an engine front cover, this chain-driver water pump can be destroyed in minutes. It was located at the rear of the engine in the previous versions which was driven by the pulley intake camshaft through a belt. But it was expensive to produce this system. So, in 2006, this pump was under a front engine cover.
- There may be serious damage inside cylinders and valvetrain due to its water pump bearings failure. As it is located at the front which performs an intermediate timing chain sprocket function. What can it happen? It can turn the vector when it applies force by 120 degrees.
- The milky oil that may be produced when the coolant leakage fails to weep out the timing cover’s front via a special passage can suffer the engine from corrosion of the internal components and it reduces its marvelous wear of the components.
- The improvements that were started in 2011, makes 3.7L V6 Duratec Ti-VCT Engine provide less prone to water pump because of the design of sprockets and its timing chain.
3.7 Cyclone V6 Duratec Ti-VCT Engine Specs
This engine specifications attract British manufacturer Radical Sportscars and Ginetta Cars. In British Radical Sportscars, it is installed to its Radical RXC V6 models which are for their race cars and street-legal road cars. In these models, this engine generates 350 horsepower at 6,250 rpm and 320 lb-ft of torque at 4,250 rpm.
Ginetta Cars have used a 3.7 Cyclone Engine for its G60 series from 2012 to 2015. This engine is able to serve 310 hp at 6,250 rpm and 288 lb-ft of torque at 4,500 rpm.
After knowing the strengths and the weakness of this ford engine, the choice of using this 3.7L V6 Duratec Ti-VCT Engine is on your hand. If you are a 3.7 Cyclone engines enthusiasts, no matter what this engine problem, you must have the way out to overcome them.