Developed on the basis of the cross-ownership of the Cross brand, the new 2022 Volkswagen ID 4 electric SUV model offers an expanded list of new technical and design solutions.
In its new design, the manufacturer promises improved body aerodynamics with respect to analogues, higher road comfort indicators, modern traction and power unit speed characteristics, increased energy intensity, and accelerated onboard battery recharging.
According to experts, the new electric car in 2021 is not only restyling from the initial model, but rather is a very successful implementation of a special project.
The appearance of a concept car is dominated by round aerodynamic contours, which significantly influences the drag coefficient decrease. The design has several bright decorative accents, most of which are concentrated on the front side of the body. In full face, the 2022 Volkswagen ID 4 properly shows:
- Little difference in the dynamic slope of the windshield and hood which are decorated with elongated wave reliefs;
- Chrome perimeter of a multi-element optical front that is connected by a decorative overlay;
- Air diffuser on the side of a large bumper that stands out with integrated fog lights.
In a lower segment configuration, the front has a coarse mesh ventilation duct and a compact metal-plastic body kit. Chrome brand symbolism and wave relief elements are presented as body decoration.
In the photo on the side, the new electric car body offers a combination of business and classic crossover style. Visible:
- Dome roofs are equipped with roof rails and spoilers;
- Black plastic harness and window sills from three sections of side glass rise to the rear pillar;
- Configuration of the cone of the rear hemisphere rearview mirror.
The bottom edge of the case is marked by a wide door format, a large plastic protective door frame, a large volume wheel arch and an exclusive design of 18-inch titanium wheels off the road.
The off-road status of the new model line confirms high ground clearance, compact body kits and the presence of plastic protective “skirts”.
- In stern design, technical developments and designs typical for classic crossover layouts are used.
- At the top of the stern is the traditional tandem of a large visor spoiler with side pillars and sloping windows.
- The compact trunk compartment door carries elements of body decoration, company logo and internal parts that are connected by LED jumpers to small lights.
The design features of the new item are the bumper-shaped top of the metal-plastic body kit and the diagonal layout of the fog lamps integrated in the diffuser.
The 2022 Volkswagen ID 4 model leadership of the 2021 series is positioned as private transportation for various age categories, suitable for urban and active use, including travel, holidays.
The interior design of 2022 Volkswagen ID 4 will use high quality and durable decorative materials with a premium range. Corporate design is adapted to the design features of a new generation of compact electric cars.
With a relatively small external dimension, the volume of the crossover cabin increases due to the placement of an ergonomic power unit in the rear axle, and a battery in the underbody.
There are many original solutions in technical and electronic equipment. This is a multi-wheel transformer hidden in the front panel, complete replacement of mechanical and control devices with digital analog and touch, additional functions are standard and exclusive options.
Specifically, it is assumed:
- The ability to activate most technical and electronic equipment remotely via a smartphone with a built-in identification;
- Adaptation of onboard multimedia, navigation, and climate control to different digital standards;
- In 2025, an autopilot with an automatic control system is promised.
Spacious interior layout is four chairs. Front seats offer comfort options that are appropriate to the status of the vehicle, including several sub-ranges of adjustment, seat heating and ventilation settings. The individual rear seat service includes the function of tilting the back and moving towards the elongated.
The simplified transformation of the rear seat allows you to increase the volume of the luggage compartment from 510 to 960 liters.
Body dimensions of 2022 Volkswagen ID 4 are expressed in D-Sh-V ratio, respectively: 4625×1891 and 1609 mm. The chassis of the base model is rear wheel drive, in the upper version the drive of all wheels with two electric motors with a total power of more than 300 hp is promised.
The traction unit is powered by 83 kW / hour battery; Test drive confirms mileage without refilling up to 500 km. When using exclusive charging equipment, up to 80% of battery power is returned in 30 minutes.
Chassis assets: independent comfortable suspension, highway clearance, series of stabilizers and disc brakes, advanced electronic assistant functionality and high-performance safety system.
Options and prices
2022 Volkswagen ID 4 Electric car prices in various modifications will be in the range of $ 34,000 to $ 40,000.
Starting from sales in the US
The global status of the electric crossover allows us to expect that the new year-old 2022 Volkswagen ID 4 model will emerge in the domestic market at the end of the current 2021. A more accurate release date in the US will be known to be closer to the end of summer.
In the list of rivals 2022 Volkswagen ID 4 have similar goals, but differ in cost analogues: Tesla Model Y, Mercedes-Benz EQB, Honda Fit and BMW iX3.